Thursday, 1 May 2014

Lending Library L'Ilui Nishmat


    The start of our Lending Library

Most people grow up knowing their grandparents or at least what they look like. Something is usually passed down about who ones parents and grandparents are / were. But then there are some who grow up without one or more grandparent. In my case, my late, father's father, ie my grandfather was Niftar (died) while on a business trip 4 and half months before my father was born. I have no idea what he looked like. I don't know anything about his interests, goals or dreams.  My paternal grandfather was a huge question mark for me until one day I discovered that the cemetry in which he is buried is partly online. I decided to look up his name and found not only his details but a photograph of the gravestone too. Suddenly a connection was made. Suddenly I knew his Yartheit. I could see for myself how long before my late father's birthday his father had died. I could see his age and I could see the wording on the grave stone: "A beautiful life, cut short"

I often wonder what about his 35 years in this world was beautiful. Somewhere in just 35 years in this world, something was good, something was beautiful. I probably will never know what his goals and dreams were. But I know that as a Jew, I can connect with my grandfather and have an effect on where he is now, by learning Torah and doing Mitzvos in his merit. I know that through this effort I can have a part in ensuring he has a beautiful life in the next world.

So I began to do whatever I could in his merit. Over time and after the loss of another relative also at a young age, we decided to begin a lending library in the merit of my grandfather, father and brother-in-law. They could not do much Torah learning in this world, but by starting a lending library in their merit, each time a book is borrowed and read, that goes to their merit. That can correct any Torah they did not learn and bring joy and an elevation to their souls. So we began accepting Torah books that others no longer wanted and pretty soon had a collection of 200 plus Seforim. The image above shows the start of our library.

Over the past few months I have been exploring how to raise the money for a bookshelf, how best to catalogue the books, what software program to use, what to charge for membership etc etc. Suddenly we obtained an offer to take over a Lending Library that is already in existance of 2300 plus books. This comes with bookshelves, computer, library program. the lot. They have worked out the membership and we'd just continue and build from there.

In the long term we'd love to have tables and chairs to enable learning or reading and shiurim in the library too. But step one is to work on how to be able to receive these books and a suitable venue for them. Next we'd work on the next level to have more Seforim, tables, chairs and more.

In order to make this a reality, we need 25 Jews to donate just US$100. Please help us to make this a reality and to add the next phase to the Torah centre we are working on. 

If you are able to donate, please email us ASAP or make a donation directly on our website

We do have a photo of the library that is being offered to us. I am not able to upload it for some reason, but if anyone is serious about donating and interested in seeing, I'd be happy to share it.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails