Tuesday, 17 February 2015

Who Is An Orphan

I was just talking to a woman in our community about our Bayit Chadash Gemach and the fact that we focus on assisting orphans at the time they marry. She listened and then asked, "do you have time for a little story?"

"Yes," I responded. "I have a few minutes."

"Good, then here is the story. There once was a teacher who asked her class if anyone knew what an orphan is. 'Dear children', she began, 'can anyone tell me what an orphan is. Does anyone know?'

'I know,' a five year old girl said as she put up her hand. 'My mommy told me! She explained to me that I didn't grow in her tummy, I grew in her heart'

Isn't that a lovely story?" the woman asked.

Since I established my Bayit Chadash Gemach in the merit of my late father Nathan Gershon ben Nathan a"h who was born an orphan and who died when I was still in school, I was not sure what to say. It certainly gives much food for thought. 

What are your thoughts of the story? Do you know what an orphan is? How would you explain the concept of an orphan to a child.

Please post your comment in the comment section below. We'd love to hear your thoughts.

This post is prepared for you by Shoshanah Shear of Chessed Ve'Emet

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails