The exact experience for every orphan is different as situations differ and every person is, of course, unique.
Here are a few stats:
UNICEF defines an orphan as someone who has lost one or both parents.
- Total estimated number of orphans worldwide: 163 million
- Estimated number that have lost only their mother: 34.5 million
- Estimated number that have lost only their father: 101 million
- Estimated number of “double orphans”: 18.5 million
- 95% of all orphans are over the age of 5 years.
- In 2005 132 million orphans were found in Sub-Sahran Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribean
(Source: UNICEF) Did you know that the stats are so high? What is your first thought when you see these numbers, many of which go back to 2005 /2007